Coffee, which attracts people with its scent before its taste, takes up quite a big place in our lives, especially in recent years. With the introduction of many different types of coffee in our lives with the third generation coffeemakers, a robust world coffee culture is forming in our country. On the coffee journey from South America to Africa and from there to Asia, we examined the best coffee producing countries and regions in the world.


Brazil is the world’s largest coffee producer with 150 years of leadership in the coffee industry. Brazil, which produces 3,558,000 metric tons of coffee, comprises about one of three of the world’s coffee. Arabica coffee makes up 69% of Brazil, while Robusta makes up the remaining 31%. Arabica’s main production zone runs from Fortaleza in the north to the border with Uruguay in the south. The main production of robusta is in Rondônia province on the border with northern Bolivia. Bahia, Bahia do Cerrado, Chapada de Minas, Chapada Diamantina, Espiritu Santo, Matas de Minas, Mato Grosso, Mato Grosso do Sul, Minas Gerais, Paraná, Planalto de Bahia, Sao Paulo and Sul de Minas are Brazil’s main coffee-producing regions.


Coffee is Vietnam’s most widely exported product after rice, making up 17% of the world’s coffee. Robusta accounts for 95% of coffee production, while Arabica accounts for the remaining 5%. Robusta is produced mainly in the South, while Arabica coffee production is made mainly in the north. Its major coffee producing regions are the Central Highlands, North Vietnam and South Vietnam.


With its aromatic, light and fruity aroma, Colombia accounts for 8% of the world’s coffee. Colombia, which produces only Arabica coffee, is the 2nd largest Arabica coffee producer in the world. The production zone is generally in the West and extends from the border with Ecuador in the south to the border with Venezuela in the North. Antioquia, Caldas, Cauca, Cundinamarca, Huila, Nariño, Norte de Santander, Sierra Nevada, Quindio, Risaralda, Santander, Tolima and Valle del Cauca regions of Colombia’s main production.


Indonesia’s coffee history, which accounts for 6% of the world’s coffee, goes back to the 1600s to the Dutch colonial period. It produces 91% Robusta coffee, while Arabica coffee, which is famous for its 9% low acid rate and hardness, is produced. Robusta is mainly produced in Central Borneo. As for the rest of the islands, the production is a mix of arabica and Robusta. The main production regions are Bali, Flores, Java, New Guinea, Sulawesi and Sumatra.


Ethiopia, the first country to produce coffee among African countries, accounts for 4% of the world’s coffee. Mainly Arabica coffee is produced in the West and east of the capital Addis Ababa in general. Gimbi, Harrar, Jima, Limu, Sidama, and Yirgacheffe are Ethiopia’s main coffee-producing regions.


Honduras, which accounts for 3.6% of the world’s coffee, is the first coffee-producing country in Central America. While Arabica coffee is produced throughout the country, the bulk of the production is in the west of the country, with the densest areas located in the west on the border with El Salvador and around the capital Tegucigalpa. Agalta, Comayagua, Copán, El Paraíso, Montecillos and Opalaca are the main producing regions.


India, which replaced coffee plantations with tea plantations due to coffee rust in the 1870s, still accounts for 3% of the world’s coffee. In India, arabica and robusta are both produced, but robusta dominates production at 73% and arabica accounts for the remaining 27%. Andhra Pradesh, Bababudangiri, Chikmagalur, Coorg, Karnataka, Kerala, Manjarabad, Nilgiri, Pulney, Shevaroy, Tamil Nadu, Travancore and Wayanad are the main production regions.


Mexico, a North American country that is among the world’s top coffee producers, accounts for 2.5% of the world’s coffee production. Almost all coffee produced in Mexico is of the Arabica variety, with 96% of the remaining 4% being of the inferior Robusta variety. The main production zones are the Pacific coast, the Gulf of Mexico and the border with Guatemala and Belize, and Chiapas, Oaxaca and Veracruz are important places where there are plantations.


Peru, which grows superior Arabica coffee varieties in all, accounts for 2.4% of the world’s coffee production. Coffee production grows widely across the country, from the north-western border with Ecuador to the central regions and the southern border with Bolivia, and Cajamarca, Cusco, Junin and San Martin are the principal producing regions.


In Uganda, coffee still naturally growing in the rainforest provides 2.4% of the world’s coffee production. Coffee production is mainly of the Robusta variety and is produced throughout the southern region. Arabica coffee production extends to Kenya in the east, Rwanda in the Southwest and Congo on the West and north sides. Bugisu, Central Lowlands, Western Uganda and West Nile are the country’s main coffee-producing regions.



Recent Posts