Nieves Barragán Mohacho grew up in Bilbao in Spain’s Basque region, learning from an early age about the region’s produce and cuisine.
In 1998, Nieves came to London and began to work at Simply Nico.
In 2003, she joined Sam and Eddie Hart as sous chef Fino.
In 2007 Nieves became the group’s Executive Chef ahead of the launch of the first Barrafina restaurant on London’s Frith Street. As Executive Chef for both Fino and Barrafina for ten years, Nieves oversaw the launch of two further Barrafina restaurants (Covent Garden and Adelaide Street) and in 2014 was awarded a Michelin Star for Barrafina Frith Street.
In February 2018, Nieves opened Sabor on Heddon Street in London with Jose Etura and in October 2018, the restaurant was awarded its first Michelin star, just eight months after opening – a star they have retained to this day. A full list of Nieves’ accolades whilst at Sabor:
- Sabor was awarded a Michelin star in 2018, which it retains to this day.
- Sabor was AA Restaurant of the Year in 2018.
- Sabor placed 2nd in 2018’s National Restaurant Awards – since then Sabor has remained in the Top 15.
- Nieveswon the “Chef’s Chef of the Year” at The National Restaurant Awards 2018.
- Nieveswas featured in the London Evening Standard’s Progress 1000 in 2018, as one of ‘London’s most influential tastemakers’.
- Nieveswas featured as one of FT Magazine’s Women of the Year 2019.
- Nieveshas listed in CODE Hospitality’s quarterly ‘100 most influential women in hospitality’ every year since 2019.
- Sabor won ‘Best Breakthrough’ at the 2019 GQ Food & Drink Awards 2019.
At Barrafina, Nieves won 2014 Michelin Star, 2015 GQ Best Chef Award, 2015 Barrafina Adelaide Street – National Restaurant Awards Best Restaurant and 2016 Barrafina Adelaide Street – Observer Food Monthly Best Restaurant.